Ready for school tomorrow? I guess we have to be. Today my mom and I took the kids to the mall to do some last minute shopping (Matthew needed a pair of shorts and wanted some running shoes). As a last fling my mom took the boys to see Nanny McPhee Returns while I saw Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Afterwards we went home for just a bit and then met Eric for dinner. We got home with just enough time for Matthew to pick up his toys and shower before bed.
I've enjoyed this summer. It feels like it went by waaaaay too quickly. Even as a kid, I don't remember summer flying by so quickly. I didn't accomplish half of what I wanted to accomplish but we managed to pack a lot into the past several weeks. And I think we all had fun.
Things we did:
- birthday party for Matthew
- Lego class for Matthew
- lots of reading and library trips
- 4 movies
- Darren and Dena's wedding
- time in Fresno for the boys while Eric and I were in Seattle
- SLO/Pismo trip
- another week in Fresno that included VBS and swim lessons
- Monterey day trip
- lots of games (Matthew received several new ones for his birthday and near the end of the summer we taught the boys Uno)
- lots of playing at home
- the most freelance work I've had in years
- a few playdates with friends
- trips to the park
- summer learning--I was very lax about having Matthew read aloud and practice his writing; I also didn't get to work on Jonathan's pre-reading/phonics skills as much as I'd have liked
- running (for me)--I had this whole plan where I was going to make it through at least one season of Gossip Girl or Doctor Who while I ran on the treadmill. Thanks to some lingering abdominal issues I'm still trying to figure out I didn't run at.all.
- I'd also planned on getting the boys--or at least Matthew--hooked on Doctor Who so I'd have somebody to watch it with but that didn't quite work out. Their lack of interest was the main factor there. Next summer...
- continuing Matthew's piano lessons and getting them in swimming lessons after we returned from Fresno
- getting together with friends more often